Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brad's Top 10 Wines of 2009, 3-4


3. 2001 Henri Gouges Les Pruliers, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Burgundy – This wine had everything a Burgundy should have and enlightened me further about old world/new world wines. The flavors of the area are hard to match, and I would never try, because we simply have different grapes and different programs. I particularly loved this bottle because after a two-hour tasting in Christian Gouges’s cellar in 2006, it took me two bottles to get back to something as great as I had tasted there. He whipped out a 1973 that was powered with mincemeat, spices, and dirt. Earth itself doesn’t migrate into your wine according to the best evidence I have, but earth flavors exist in these wines and are nice in the deux mille un mixed with aromas of raspberry and delicate small flowers in the spring air. Surround in a bit of oak (neither Gouges nor many of the Burgundies I know are powered by oak) and wait 8 years, and you get wines like this. The real thing.

4. 2004 Evesham Wood Seven Springs –Speaking of aging, if there is one winemaker that looks forward to the magical 5-10 year window of pinot noir maturity, it’s Russ Raney. And, lo, I just happened to have a 5-year-old sitting around. I remember 2004 since it was the first year I made wine. I was making Illahe (which wasn’t called Illahe) at Vitae Springs Vineyards in South Salem, and Forrest Klaffke came by on a warm day. He looked at my brine bins with crushed pinot in them and I asked his opinion of the vintage. He said “Normal.” So, in a normal vintage, Russ produced this spectacular wine—easy to drink after five years, with an aroma of ash wood, a box of nails, ferns, and strawberry compote. That’s true complexity. He harvests earlier than almost anyone, following the heuristic that 105-110 days after bloom is the sweet spot, and this always seems too early until five years later. Buy cases!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your nice sharing first.I don’t know if you are shopping online or not.I always do this.
    I think it is a very convenience and save time way to buy goods.Buy christian louboutin shoes sale andAir JordansNike Jordan Basketball Shoes,we offer cheap nike shoes cheap nike shoes at low price.nike jordan retro shoesAir JordansNike Kicks,we also see cheap Air Force OnesNike Dunks LowAir Jordans ShoesNike shoesed hardy shirtsMBT Shoes SaleChristian Louboutin Shoeschristian louboutin shoes saleQuality of Nike shoesWholesale Nike Shoes.They have put so much effort to provide a great customer experience that it gives them a great differentiation and customer satisfaction tool, which ultimately drives customer satisfaction and business success.

    ReplyDelete